Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ireland’s New Drinking Laws

The Intoxicating Liquor Bill of 2008 came into force on the 30th of July across Ireland. The Bill is intended to implement "some important reforms of the licensing laws and public order legislation to address the adverse consequences of alcohol abuse in our society. The measures proposed are a balanced response to problems caused by excessive alcohol consumption and binge drinking."

A full description of the Bill’s effects can be found at the Department of Justice website.

The part of the Bill which irritates me most is the early closing times of night-clubs and off-licences. Night-clubs must now close at 2:30. No alcohol may be sold at supermarkets or off-licences after 22:00.

The first thing that strikes me about the new closing times is that it is clearly theft.

If I wish to have an enjoyable time at a night-club, and the night-club owner is willing to accomodate me, then we are both better off if we trade. Any government action restricting our voluntary action makes BOTH me and the proprietor WORSE OFF.

Similarly, if I wish to purchase alcohol at an off-licence, and the shopkeeper is willing to sell alcohol to me, then any restriction on our exchange makes us both poorer.

Secondly, the Intoxicating Liquor Bill is a violation of property rights. If I own a business then I am the one who decides its opening hours. Not the government.

Lastly, the effects of the Bill will be disasterous. Instead of a slow and steady outpouring of patrons from venues, there will be many drunk, rowdy and irate people kicked out from pubs and clubs out onto the streets. I don’t look forward to the scenes on Dublin streets at all.

The new drinking laws should be viewed with scorn, not just because of their effects but because they remove many rights from the citizenry.

No comments: